Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Green Magic / La Magia Verde

As I walked by numerous stalls in one of the Saturday-morning flea markets which are prevalent all over northern California, just browsing the same things over, I unexpectedly came upon a very different stall. This one had many charms and other amulets to welcome love and fortune, and ward off evil spirits.

As a bookish sort, I became interested in a collection of many small books in Spanish; particularly one which was titled ‘La Magia Verde’ (Green Magic). I don’t know what attracted me to this book in particular other than my attraction to green colored things in general; likely stemming from childhood stories in which green is the color of forests, hence mystery. My mother used to tell us kids children stories on Sunday afternoons by the chimney with a roaring fire. There, drinking Orange Crush or Fanta, magic woods and enchanted forests would come to life in the fires of the chimney and my mother’s voice.

Green magic – Mix the wing of bats and the mushrooms picked from a cemetery; good luck will follow you.

I haggled for the book; I wanted it for $3.00. The man and the woman wanted $5.00. Another customer said that green magic is not true or doesn’t work. I told him that it all depends on what you believe. For it seems to me that sometimes we want to control our lives immediately and while we may not truly know what is good for us, we want the control anyway. I’m exasperated by waiting for tomorrow; I want Green Magic to help me today. The Lady in Green who lives in the tree beckons me. Inside her tree lies a wonderful world, of childish innocence and natural harmony. I want to go back inside it. On that particular day, however, I only had $3.00 left.

Alas… Thus I lost the book on La Magia Verde. However, I feel now that I need it even more today, if nothing else to remind me of the wonder that was once my childhood. Yet in fact, Green Magic is within us for it is nothing more than manipulating forces that are around us but whose influence we don’t perceive. The important thing though is that they’re there.

Two bullfrog skins mixed with the blood of a young lizard will yield a potion of power over another person.

Powders exist to lure a desired love or to ward off evil spirits; lotions and elixirs to make oneself irresistible to another person. That’s how to affect the environment rather than waiting for heavenly intervention or fate to step in; though it’s well worth remembering that one often meets one’s fate by attempting to avert it [Oedipus Rex]. So if this is true, we are not averting our own end but perhaps only the means.

Obviously, the lesson here is that for Green Magic to be truly effective, you must know what it is that you seek. Or is this unnecessary? For Green Magic may also protect you from unwanted interference rather than merely changing your fate. There’s a definite advantage in this, because you are warding off evil influences. Who needs evil influences in their life? Thus Green Magic can greatly help you to command the forces around you and achieve a feng-shui like arrangement with all the forces that surround you—of love, life and fortune. Nice!

By Homeless with a Laptop, That is my Name

No comments:

Post a Comment